Note-Taking : An Effective Learning Tool
Do you take notes of what your teacher says while teaching?
Note-taking is one of those skills that rarely gets taught. But significance of note-taking in learning is relentless. Notes are not an exact account of what was said, but simply a tool to help you in revise. It is the practice of recording information captured from another source. It is a habit with which one can simply record the essence of the information, freeing their mind from having to recall everything.
BENEFITS OF NOTE-TAKING HABIT IN STUDENTS LIFE
It has been proven that effective note-taking enhances academic success, and also provides several benefits beyond that record of what was presented in a lecture or class activity
1. Improves focus and attention to detail. Developing note-taking skills engages a student, requiring them to focus and increase their attention to detail, and as we all know, the devil is in the detail!
2. Promotes active learning. By taking effective notes, students are actively involved in the learning process thus giving it a purpose and increasing productivity.
3. Boosts comprehension and retention. A proven method of increasing memory retention, note-taking can also increase comprehension by breaking down the content for a student to consume easily.
4. Teaches prioritizing skills. Often overlooked in its importance, it is essential for a student to be able to select important material and discard unnecessary content. This further adds to their organizational and creativity skills.
5. Extends attention span. Proven to extend a student’s attention span, a necessary tool in any learning situation!
6. Improves organization skills. By prioritizing content and organizing effectively, a student develops key organization strengths. As teachers are well aware, organization is key!
7. Increases creativity. Equipped with the ability to organize their ideas effectively, focus on a particular subject and expand on ideas through knowledge retention, students can use their own initiative increasing creativity and innovation.
Assembling a good set of notes is an essential component of successful learning in college. Unless you have an extraordinary memory, effective note-taking will be very valuable to you throughout your college and professional careers.
Adopt good habits and bring the best out of you with Sri Sharda Group of Institutions…